Monday, 14 June 2010

"Alice in Wonderland"

Being one of my favourite childhood reads, "Alice in Wonderland" was a decent choice for my first ever e-book, when I downloaded a Kindle-esque application for my iPhone. As the plane taking me to summer camp lifted off the Vancouver runway, I whisked my finger across the screen and began to read.

Although I was eventually disappointed to discover that my phone was getting low on battery (running multiple applications for a while will do that apparently), it was due to the fact that I simply couldn't put Lewis Carroll's classic down. The more I read, the more I wanted to read. As the battery went flat, I turned off the phone and decided to watch an in-flight movie.

By some sort of eerie coincidence, it turned out that Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" would be the next movie shown on the flight, so I got comfortable and watched to see what I enjoyed, and what I hated. In the end I was pretty impressed with the movie, but that I couldn't wait to dive back into the book put it (as is usually the case with books and movies) higher in the rankings for me. As such, I would call it one of my personal favourites, and give it a 5 star rating.

"'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
`I don't much care where--' said Alice.
`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
`--so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation.
`Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, `if you only walk long enough.'"
[Page 50]

My rating: (5.0/5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment