Sunday, 11 April 2010

"The Jungle Book"

My favourite book so far this year, Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" was an absolute treat. Unexpectedly dissimilar to the Disney classic (my only real exposure to the story), the book was filled with interesting stories that have stood the test of time well.

As well as the well-known chapters about Mowgli and his life as a human raised by wolves in India, there were also some lesser-known stories about seals and mongooses (mongeese?) among others. These stories (though catching me off guard when the "Jungle Book" I'd known ended halfway through the book) were wonderful and I look forward to sharing them with the kids I work with. In all, I would give the book 4.5/5.0, and recommend it to everyone!

"The others they hate thee because their eyes cannot meet thine; because thou art wise; because thou hast pulled out thorns from their feet--because thou art a man." [Page 26]

My rating: (4.5/5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment